Level CrossingsOur collaborative approach ensures we’re on the level, at every stage of the project
Our design services include:
- Survey Team – undertake topographical surveys to form the basis of the level crossing design. It can also undertake drainage surveys, cable route correlation surveys as well as trial pits to de-risk the final layout.
- Geo-Environmental Team – provide environmental and ecology surveys to assist the client in their pre-construction responsibilities.
- Geotechnical Team – perform soil testing and provide construction advice.
- Civils Team – provide foundation designs for level crossing equipment.
- Highways Team – provide road layout designs and vertical profile assessments to ensure level crossings are suitable for traffic density usage.
- Track Team – provide designs to suit installation of rail joints to comply with the Signalling design and Permanent Way standards.
- Telecoms Team – provide the designs for the level crossing phone installations.
- Mechanical & Electrical Team – provide the designs for level crossing power supplies and lighting calculations.
- Transport Planning Team – model a particular scheme to simulate the effects to rail and road traffic, particularly barrier down time and vehicular ‘blocking back’.
- Project Engineering Team – integrating the design activities across the various engineering disciplines.
- TSP Projects’ Signalling partners can provide Signalling Scheme Plan design to suit any size of Project.
Our ServicesWe manage the process from concept and numerical modelling through to construction design and support
Cheal Road Level Crossing AFC Ground Plan
TSP Project‘s in-house team are able to produce Ground Plans for each stage of design; from feasibility studies to assist with option selection, single option development to obtain Approval In Principle (AIP), and detailed design development to gain Approved for Construction (AFC) status. As-Built Ground Plans can be produced to record the commissioning arrangements, including submission to the Records custodian if required. TSP Projects has extensive knowledge and experience of the design process, including Statutory Consultation, and can supply specific drawing formats to assist with this process. The topographical survey, which forms the basis of the Ground Plan, can also be supplied in-house to TSP Projects’ specification. TSP Projects’ in-house team are flexible to our Clients needs; our deliverables can be tailored to align to the requirements of independent or heritage railways.
At each stage, the Ground Plan is complemented by a Design Log that records all major design decisions and influences. These issues are readily transferable to the Project Health and Safety File in order to satisfy TSP Projects’ obligations under the Construction, Design and Management Regulations (CDM) 2015 and Common Safety Method (CSM).
The TSP Projects in-house team has an exemplary knowledge of Draft LCO production, either as part of the Ground Plan design or as a standalone deliverable. Incorporating the production of the Draft LCO as part of the Ground Plan delivery, by the same consultant, facilitates de-risking of the scheme commissioning through the reduction of clerical errors when timescales are short and ‘boots are on the ground’.
- GNGE Route Enhancement Project
- North Lincolnshire Resignalling Scheme
Four Lane Ends Level Crossing
Level Crossing Risk Assessments are typically required during the ‘Feasibility’ or ‘Option Selection’ phase of a project. These studies assess the existing protection arrangements, how the crossings are used and identify any underlying risks to the user, maintainer and/or owner. Opportunities for closure, diversionary routes or upgraded level crossing protection are also identified. These opportunities can then be incorporated into Option Selection documents, defined in the Scope of Works or used to support budget estimation or Level Crossing Ground Plan production.
About TSP Projects
TSP Projects is a multidisciplinary solutions business with extensive engineering capabilities and specialist technical expertise in the Rail, Aviation, Energy and Security sectors.
As an award-winning and thriving business, we work in partnership with our clients to develop and deliver high quality, innovative technical solutions for major infrastructure projects across the UK.
We employ highly experienced designers, engineers, architects, planners and project managers and we provide a full range of high quality services from consultancy, design and engineering to manufacture, installation and onsite project management.
All projects delivered and coordinated 100% in BIM.
Based in the UK, with our head office in York supported by three regional offices in Birmingham, Manchester and Reading, our consultancy business is made up of several engineering discipline teams that collaborate on projects to provide the right mix of technical excellence for your project needs.
We have new projects coming in all the time, so if you’d like to be a part of our team then we’d love to hear from you. Please visit our career page to see what openings we currently have.
Get in touch if you have a question or would like to explore how our technical experts could help you realise your organisation's dreams.