Reading Station has been transformed into a modern world class facility. The station now has fifteen platforms which are fed by a re-engineered track layout which has significantly reduced delays, increased capacity and has removed Reading as the major bottleneck on the network. All the station construction works have been undertaken with the station still operational which has led to innovative engineering solutions.
“Delighted… many years of planning and hard work paid off”.Robbie Burns
Why the change?
- 9th busiest UK station outside London
- Forecasted passenger capacity
- Limited disabled access
- Second busiest interchange outside London
- Railway line infrastructure bottleneck
- Freight capacity planning increases
The existing station needed to remain fully operational whilst redevelopment work was constructed, which had significant impact on the design and layout of the station as weel as determining the phased construction methodology.
How did TSP help?
TSP oversaw several parts of this major redevelopment work including:
- Design of the 30-metre wide transfer deck with lifts and escalators
- Design of over 400 OLE structures and foundations
- New Northern Entrance and Western Gateline design
- Platform and canopy design
- Alterations and extension to the existing subway
- Design of permanent way including 84 S&C units
- Station wide M&E and COMMS
- Design support through construction
What did we achieve?
Improve passenger capacity
- 2016: 14 million per year
- 2030: 26 million per year (estimated)
- 8 extra passenger trains per hour
Facts and Figures
- £897m project
- 2 new entrances
- 5 new platforms
- 15,000 sq m
At a glance
- 2,400 ton Vierendeel truss transfer desk
- Largest Network Rail station scheme in the UK
- 6 extra freight trains a day
(equivalent to 200 lorries)
AwardsWe believe that the best measure of our success is our customers' satisfaction with us and our ability to meet their needs, first time and every time. Having said that, we naturally value the recognition we have received from fellow professionals, institutes, commentators and the media.
About TSP Projects
TSP Projects is a multidisciplinary solutions business with extensive engineering capabilities and specialist technical expertise in the Rail, Aviation, Energy and Security sectors.
As an award-winning and thriving business, we work in partnership with our clients to develop and deliver high quality, innovative technical solutions for major infrastructure projects across the UK.
We employ highly experienced designers, engineers, architects, planners and project managers and we provide a full range of high quality services from consultancy, design and engineering to manufacture, installation and onsite project management.
All projects delivered and coordinated 100% in BIM.
Based in the UK, with our head office in York supported by three regional offices in Birmingham, Manchester and Reading, our consultancy business is made up of several engineering discipline teams that collaborate on projects to provide the right mix of technical excellence for your project needs.
Connecting with you
Get in touch if you have a question or would like to explore how our technical experts could help you realise your organisation's dreams.
We have new projects coming in all the time, so if you’d like to be a part of our team then we’d love to hear from you. Please visit our career page to see what openings we currently have.