The works associated with the King’s Cross Station Redevelopment Programme were inclusive of the refurbishment, relocation and redesign of several key station areas to improve and increase the train and passenger capacity of the existing facility. At 7500sq.m it is three times the size of the original concourse and has become the heart of this multi-modal transport hub linking St Pancras, Thameslink, London Underground, taxis and bus services and accommodating up to 150,000 passengers daily through a spacious and dynamic transport interchange.
Since the opening of the new departures concourse, King’s Cross has been declared both a critical and a popular success. The improved station supports major regeneration and development efforts in the area as well as a thriving retail destination, with £2.4 million in sales brought in by the station’s new shops during its first month, demonstrating King’s Cross’s success as a retail destination.
Why the change?
- Restrictive passenger capacity
- Energy sustainability
There were several challenges throughout the design process, these included:
- Designing and installing new services around the existing infrastructure with minimal disruption.
- Preserving the image and historical features of the Grade I listed building.
- Integrating designs with external and internal architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, other designers and installation contractors.
- Retaining King’s Cross as a working station throughout all works with minimal disruption to staff and passengers.
- Synchronisation of works.
To overcome the challenges as well as the normal challenges associated with complex multi-discipline designs was not always easy.
Through working alongside English Heritage, the station operator, and other stakeholders our team constantly challenged historic working practices, buildability, and industry standards.
How did TSP help?
TSP oversaw several parts of this major redevelopment work including:
- Removal and replacement of platform access footbridge.
- Restoration of the station’s listed double barrel roof, including:
- complete reglazing with blastproof glass,
- installation of ‘beer mat’ solar panels for renewable energy.
- Design of the new Platform 0, under the stations Eastern Range Buildings, including:
- slab track,
- impact wall.
- Reconstruction of Platforms 1 to 8.
- Modification of Platforms 5 to 8 to provide new departures concourse.
What did we achieve?
Improve passenger capacity
- New concourse and circulation spaces more than doubles the capacity of the station
- Passenger numbers increased by 10% in the first few years
Facts and Figures
- Approximate scheme value: £550m
- Client: Network Rail
- Disciplines commissioned: Architectural, Civils, Electrification, Environment, Geotechnical, M&E, Site Services, Surveys, Track, Transport Planning
At a glance
- 7500sq.m concourse
- New shallow steel deck glazed footbridge
- Dismantling of historic 1893 handyside footbridge
- Double barrel roof incorporating blast-proof glass and renewable energy
- New Platform 0, one of only 8 in the country.
AwardsWe believe that the best measure of our success is our customers' satisfaction with us and our ability to meet their needs, first time and every time. Having said that, we naturally value the recognition we have received from fellow professionals, institutes, commentators and the media.
Global Awards for
Smeaton Award 2012
About TSP Projects
TSP, standing for Technical Solutions in Partnership, is a multi-disciplinary solutions business that provides a full range of services from consultancy, design and engineering to installation and onsite project management. TSP Projects have extensive engineering capabilities, a substantial portfolio of projects and a leading capability in delivering innovative solutions.
Based in the UK, with our head office in York supported by three regional offices in Birmingham, Manchester and Reading, our consultancy business is made up of several engineering discipline teams that collaborate on projects to provide the right mix of technical excellence for your project needs.
Connecting with you
Get in touch if you have a question or would like to explore how our technical experts could help you realise your organisation’s dreams.
We have new projects coming in all the time, so if you’d like to be a part of our team then we’d love to hear from you. Please visit our vacancy page to see what openings we currently have.